Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Heartbeats

This weekend I made a much-needed visit home. I saw this film at Toronto's new cultural film centre (heavily corporate but at least we have one). The influence of Xavier Dolan's favourite directors like Almodovar and Wong Kar-Wai are pretty obvious, but he's still offering something new. I think he is the first director to truly create moments on film (and not patronizingly) that are descriptive of 21st century youth. It feels like a plot - however trivial - straight out of mine or my friends' lives. And he makes use of some pretty killer songs, like The Knife's "Pass This On".

Support French-Canadian cinema. Support young directors. Go see it!

On another note, recently I have been thinking a lot about What I Am Going To Do After School. I am still utterly absorbed with my thesis, but school life is starting to feel a little dull. I'm hit by the realization that I need to be doing more things that make me feel like I'm living a real life. It may also soon be time to change the name of this blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment